Saturday, June 4, 2011

Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole

I don't know about you, but every time we order Chinese food in our house we end up with an excess of white rice that just goes to waste. We have a few meals that we like to make to use up the rice, and this is one of the newest that I threw together a few weeks ago. The pictures are from the first time I made it, and I've made a few changes since then!


Cheese Chicken and Rice Casserole

2-3 chicken breasts
1 tsp olive oil
1 (14.5 oz) can cheddar cheese soup
1 (14.5 oz) can broccoli cheese soup
1/2-1 c milk (depending on how sticky your rice is)
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1 head fresh broccoli (the second time I used frozen)
2 small takeout containers of cooked white rice
I forgot to take a picture before I cut the broccoli florets off the "tree."
  1. Slice raw chicken into bite sized pieces, sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large saute pan coated with olive oil, cook until no longer pink. Set aside.

  2. Whisk together soup, spices, and some of the milk until smooth. Steam broccoli in the microwave (or on the stove), add to soup mixture and then stir in rice.

  3. In a medium sized casserole dish, place chicken and top with rice mixture. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 15-30 minutes.
This is a good all-in-one dish that you can add pretty much anything to! The second time I made it, I had some zucchini and I threw that in with the chicken and a chopped onion and it was really good! Its a good way to get some extra veggies into your diet without feeling like you're eating like a rabbit.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea to use up that leftover take out rice.

    ReplyDelete